22 Jun 2012

Dream or reality?

Even if I told somebody about what happened to me, they wouldn’t believe me. I mean, I can hardly believe it either, and I’m not too sure about what happened.

It all started one overcast night. It was a full moon but you could hardly see any light coming from it because of all the clouds covering the sky. From time to time you could hear the cricket’s song outside in the yard. I was reading a book in my bed when I heard a noise coming from downstairs. So I got up and went to see what was going on. When I got near the end of the stairs I shouted:

“Mom? Is that you? What are you doing home? Was the trip canceled?”

But nobody answered, although the lights in the kitchen were on. So I walked slowly as to not make too much noise. I was getting scared. I knew my brother was spending the night at his friend, so I was home alone. I reached for the umbrella near the entrance, and then I entered the dining room. The light was becoming stronger as I approached the kitchen door. I could hear the noise intensifying and getting louder, there was even a crash. Although I could barely stay on my feet, because they were shaking uncontrollably, I watchfully entered the kitchen.

There was a mess on the floor. The fridge was wide open, and the cake I made that day was on the floor. Between parts of cornflakes, which usually were on the top shelf of the kitchen cupboard, there was a smashed dish. The flower vase on the kitchen work table was upside-down, and the flowers were a mile away, near the fridge.

I raised the umbrella over ready to strike at the smallest move, but everything was quiet now. Then I noticed the window was open. I must have forgotten to close it before going upstairs. When I reached for the sash of the window to close it, I looked outside. There were about ten pairs of red, beady, eyes looking at me. Some were further, some closer, with their eyes fixed on the kitchen window. I felt a creepy chill running down my spine.

I suddenly hid, gluing myself to the wall of the window. I then stealthy looked out the window again, while in the same time, I extended my hand to the gardens lights switch. I pushed it. When the light lit in the garden, I saw many squirrels running for cover to the darker sides of the backyard.

I’ve never in my life seen so many squirrels all in one place. It wasn’t very pleasant, especially since I was alone at home, and it was late at night too. But this wasn’t even the weirdest part. That came the next morning.

After I closed the window, I was so relieved that I suddenly felt very sleepy. I decided to go to bed and clean up tomorrow. “Nobody will know if I just clean it tomorrow. I’m too sleepy now, and after the scare I’ve been through, I deserve a good night’s sleep.” I told myself, while checking to see if the doors and windows were looked tightly. So I climbed into bed, and fell asleep the moment I put my head on the pillow.

The next morning when I woke up, to my surprise, everything was at their place. Even the cake was still in the fridge, untouched, and there weren’t any broken plates. Was it all a dream? I asked myself. But just, when I was sure I’ve dreamed it all, I saw a squirrel near the kitchen window, looking into the house. When she noticed I had seen her, she quickly ran into the apple three in the garden, and then disappeared from sight.

Later that day, when my brother came home, I asked him if he came earlier by any chance, and cleaned up the kitchen. But he said he was at his friend’s house up until now, and they didn’t even left their house all day, because they were playing an online game.

What really happened on that night or if it was all a dream, I’m not sure. All I know is that from then on, every time I look into the garden, I search for traces of squirrels in the trees or on the ground. It has become a habit now. And sometimes, I even have the impression that there is someone watching from outside the window, carefully as to not be discovered.

1 comment:

  1. maybe you could make it even scarier? the readers should love the way their goosebumps stand :D

    ReplyDelete